I think this goes here rather than in the other initiative thread I started, since that's all arena and seems to make some sense. This on the other hand is fortress and pure nonsense.
I went to capture a NPC fortress, using the following Star Frigates:
- Modules: Military Targeter, Advanced Targeter, Military Scrambler, Fighter Bay
- Weapons: Heavy Rail Gun (heavy), Heavy Rail Gun (turret)
- Level 10 Targeting Computer and Scrambling System research
- Initiative against other main ships +12
- Transports with Advanced Missiles and Armour Plating: init +12 vs +2: ship fired at the same time
- Destroyers with Lance, Fighter Bay and Energized Plating: init +12 vs +4: destroyers fired first
- Destroyers with Lance, Heavy Armour and Scrambler: init +11 vs +4: star frigates fired first
- Corvettes with Rail Gun, Targeter and Scrambler: init +11 vs 0: ships fired at the same time
- Transports with Heavy Gauss Gun and Scrambler: init +11 vs 0: transports fired first
No aircraft used by either side.
Especially the two destroyer fleets have me confused, how does Fighter Bay + Energized Plating improve initiative by at least +2 compared to Heavy Armour and Scrambler?
Some more, using the same Star Frigates attacking a NPC fortress (level 3 planet).
- Destroyers with Lance, Energized Plating, Heavy Armour fired first
- Corvettes with Pulse Laser, Heavy Armour and Targeter fired first
- Frigates with Flak Cannon, Rail Gun, 2x Energized Plating and Heavy Armour fired Flak Cannon first, then Rail Gun at the same time as Star Frigates
- Frigates with Flak Cannon, Cannon, 2x Fighter Bay, Scrambler fired both weapons first
And several others, I didn't get the modules and weapons for all of them. At least 1 in 10 fired first when they shouldn't have been even close in initiative.